Highway to Hell
'Going down, party time, my friends are gonna be there too, I'm on the highway to hell.’
A Perth Festival commission
Presented in association with City of Melville, Town of East Fremantle and City of Fremantle
We’re reclaiming the iconic Canning Highway and turning it into the world’s longest stage for a day!
Join us as we celebrate our city and its connection to Bon Scott, the iconic front man of legendary Aussie rock band, AC/DC. Taking inspiration from the AC/DC song of the same name, we’re paying homage to Highway to Hell!
From the Canning Bridge in Applecross to the Rainbow in Fremantle, we’re closing the entire highway to create the world’s longest stage – and Perth’s playground for the day – for a music spectacular like nothing seen before.
Pick your zone and then sit back and soak up a program jam-packed with entertainment for the whole family, including live music, street performers, community choirs, dance troupes, kids’ activities and loads more! Head down from 3 pm with the entertainment kicking off from 4pm.
At 5pm, a convoy of eight semi-trailers will set off down the highway acting as moving stages for our huge line up of local, interstate and international musicians. From Aussie rock to Finnish folk, saltwater sounds to soulful strains, artists as diverse as Pigram Brothers, Amyl and the Sniffers, Japan’s Shonen Knife and WA’s Abbe May with The Southern River Band will give Scott the epic tribute he deserves.
Celebrate this free family event, which closes Perth Festival 2020, by watching the show as it rolls on by or experiencing all that’s on offer in one of the zones. Whatever and wherever you choose, Hell Ain’t A Bad Place to Be!
We need more volunteers to help make this amazing event happen.
We're planning a whole bunch of awesome events in the lead up to, during and after, Highway to Hell.
Here's a little taster of what's to come.
Stay tuned for more info!
Highway Smoking - Join us for the Welcome to Country as we smoke the highway in the Canning Bridge Zone
- Clancy’s Fish Pub Canning Bridge will take you in to… Fin City! That’s right, if you want fish you got it with the ultimate Ogilvie street family-friendly pop up party
- Display | Pub Culture and Aussie Rock Ephemera – AH Bracks Library
- High Voltage at Wireless Hill | A great program of events and activities:
Public art / Let There Be Rock Quiz Night / Sew your own Rock Patch with the Embroiders Guild of WA / BONpalooza Vinyl Fair / Live music and more
- Pre-party at Fremantle Arts Centre
- WAAPA pop ups. Don’t forget to look out for pop up performances from the talented students at the WA Academy of Performing Arts at the Canning Bridge zone, Tompkins Park and The Rainbow zone
- After party at the Leopold Hotel featuring Hells Bells. More cool after parties to be announced!
- Roving performances
- Community choirs
- Community performance opportunities
- Raffles will host the first meeting point for the entire event. Skip the traffic, get in early and join our community of fans! Free entry for everyone. Hang around and soak up the vibrancy with live music, plenty of AC/DC inspired drinks and delicious picnic baskets and hampers
- "It's a long way to the top!" Swings on the Flying Trapeze and Boings on the Bungee-trampoline at Flying Trapeze Perth, right next to Tompkins Park! For people aged 6 to 106 years on the trapeze and 15 months and up on the Bungee-trampoline
- From Highway to Hell to Highway to Enlightenment: drop into Kadampa Meditation Centre Perth for short guided meditations, children’s activities, chanted prayers for world peace and refreshments made with love.
|Time & Location||
Arrive 3pm | Show Starts 5pm
5 hrs approx
Accessible viewing platform, audio description and Auslan interpreting available at Tompkins Park.
Got a question about the event?