Highway to Hell
'Going down, party time, my friends are gonna be there too, I'm on the highway to hell.’
A Perth Festival commission
Presented in association with City of Melville, Town of East Fremantle and City of Fremantle
We’re reclaiming the iconic Canning Highway and turning it into the world’s longest stage for a day!
Bring the family and join us as we celebrate our city and its connection to iconic Aussie band AC/DC. From the Raffles Hotel to the Old Fremantle Traffic Bridge we’re closing the road to create a musical event that will have everyone singing along. Taking inspiration from the AC/DC song of the same name and Bon Scott’s connection to the area we’re paying homage to Highway to Hell.
It all kicks off at 5pm when a convoy of flatbed trucks sets off down the highway as moving stages for our huge line up of local, interstate and international musicians. From Aussie rock to Finnish folk, big band to symphonic sounds, artists as diverse as Pigram Brothers, Amyl and the Sniffers and Perth Symphony Orchestra will belt out their versions of AC/DC classics and other top tunes. Celebrate this free family event with a picnic along the highway, enjoying the show as it drives on by, get more music at one of our free outdoor performance venues or join in the passing parade and highway smoking as you walk behind the trucks on their Highway to Hell journey.
Abbe May / Amyl and the Sniffers / Ballbreaker / Carla Geneve / Community Choirs / DJ Kester Sappho
DJ Timothy Nelson / Dom Mariani / Hells Bells / The Jam Tarts / Mathas / Odette Mercy
Perth Symphony Orchestra / Shonen Knife / Steve 'n' Seagulls / The Floors / Pigram Brothers
The Southern River Band / The Tommy Hawks / WA Police Pipe Band / WAAPA
and more to be announced...
We're planning a whole bunch of awesome events in the lead up to, during and after, Highway to Hell.
Here's a little taster of what's to come.
Stay tuned for more info!
- Highway Smoking - Join us for the Welcome to Country as we smoke the highway from Canning Bridge to Fremantle
- Clancy’s Fish Pub Canning Bridge will take you in to… Fin City! That’s right, if you want fish you got it with the ultimate Ogilvie street family-friendly pop up party.
- Display | Pub Culture and Aussie Rock Ephemera – AH Bracks Library
- High Voltage at Wireless Hill | A great program of events and activities:
Public art / Let There Be Rock Quiz Night / Sew your own Rock Patch with the Embroiders Guild of WA / BONpalooza Vinyl Fair / Live music and more
- Pre-party at Fremantle Arts Centre
- WAAPA pop ups. Don’t forget to look out for pop up performances from the talented students at the WA Academy of Performing Arts at the Canning Bridge zone, Tompkins Park and The Rainbow zone.
- After party at the Leopold Hotel featuring Hells Bells. More cool after parties to be announced!
- Roving performances
- Community choirs
- Community performance opportunities
- Raffles will host the first meeting point for the entire event. Skip the traffic, get in early and join our community of fans! Free entry for everyone. Hang around and soak up the vibrancy with live music, plenty of AC/DC inspired drinks and delicious picnic baskets and hampers.
- "It's a long way to the top!" Swings on the Flying Trapeze and Boings on the Bungee-trampoline at Flying Trapeze Perth, right next to Tompkins Park! For people aged 6 to 106 years on the trapeze and 15 months and up on the Bungee-trampoline.
- From Highway to Hell to Highway to Enlightenment: drop into Kadampa Meditation Centre Perth for short guided meditations, children’s activities, chanted prayers for world peace and refreshments made with love.
We are throwing open our doors and welcoming pitches from schools, community, artists, performing arts groups and beyond to participate in Highway to Hell. This is your chance to get creative, celebrate AC/DC and be involved in this once-in-a-generation event.
Find out more and pitch your idea HERE.
|Time & Location||
Arrive 3pm | Show Starts 5pm
5 hrs approx
Accessible viewing platform, audio description and Auslan interpreting available at Tompkins Park.
Got a question about the event?