Jungle Book reimagined
Akram Khan Company
‘Simultaneously engaging, sobering, transfixing and hopeful, this beautiful work of art is worthy of gracing any stage in the world.'
Dance, theatre, music and visually stunning animation come together to tell a new version of the classic Jungle Book story.
In a near future world, a family is torn apart as they escape their homeland that has been ravaged by the impact of climate change. Arriving alone in a deserted modern city, and with wild animals claiming the streets as their own, Mowgli soon discovers unlikely allies in this strange new jungle.
See the stage transformed into a magical world, but this is no Disney adaption. Jungle Book reimagined updates the original's coloniser-centric perspective and instead takes us on the journey of the young girl Mowgli, a refugee child stranded by the cruel realities of climate change and caught in a world devastated by its impact. Choreographer Akram Khan and his team of co-creators tell the story of how this child can help us to listen to the voices of the natural world that we, the modern world, try to silence.
Jungle Book reimagined speaks to all generations as a step to remind, to relearn, to reimagine a new world together.
Director & ChoreographerAkram KhanCreative Associate & CoachMavin KhooWriterTariq JordanDramaturgical AdvisorSharon ClarkComposerJocelyn PookSound DesignerGareth FryLighting DesignerMichael HullsVisual Stage DesignerMiriam BuetherArt Direction & Director of AnimationAdam Smith (YeastCulture)Producer & Director of Video DesignNick Hillel (YeastCulture)Rehearsal DirectorsNicky Henshall, Andrew Pan, Angela Towler (Tour)DancersTom Davis-Dunn, Harry Theadora Foster, Thomasin Gülgeç, Jasper Narvaez, Max Revell, Matthew Sandiford, Pui Yung Shum, Elpida Skourou, Holly Vallis, Jan Mikaela Villaneuva, Luke Watson Assistant Animators Nisha Alberti, Geo Barnett, Miguel Maella Black, Michelle Cramer, Jack Hale, Zuzanna Odolczyk, Sofja UmarikVoice ActorsTian-Lan Chaudhry, Joy Elias-Rilwan, Pushkala Gopal, Dana Haqjoo, Nicky Henshall, Su-Man Hsu, Kathryn Hunter, Emmanuel Imani, Divya Kasturi, Jeffery Kissoon, Mavin Khoo, Yasmin Paige, Max Revell, Christopher Simpson, Pui Yung Shum, Holly Vallis, Jan Mikaela Villanueva, Luke Watson, 3rd Year students of Rambert School
|Time & Location||
Fri 9 – Sat 17 Feb
Mon – Fri 7pm | Sat 2.30pm & 7pm | Sun 5pm Heath Ledger Theatre, 174 - 176 William Street, Northbridge / Yandilup
2hrs 10mins including interval
Eligible for package discount
Recommended for ages 10+
Contains gunshot sounds.
Post Show Q&A Wed 13 Feb
Stay in your seats after the performance to hear from creators and artists in a Q&A session.
- Supported by Perth Festival Medici donors and British Council
- Co-produced by Curve Leicester, Attiki Cultural Society – Greece, Birmingham Hippodrome, Edinburgh International Festival, Esplanade – Theatres on the Bay Singapore, Festspielhaus St. Pölten, Internationaal Theater Amsterdam, Joan W. and Irving B. Harris Theater for Music and Dance – Chicago, Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts – New York, Maison de la Danse / Pôle européen de création – Lyon, National Arts Centre – Canada, New Vision Arts Festival – Hong Kong, Orsolina28, Pfalzbau Bühnen – Theater im Pfalzbau Ludwigshafen, Romaeuropa Festival, Stanford Live / Stanford University, Teatros del Canal – Madrid, théâtre de Caen, Théâtre de la Ville – Paris.
- The technical adaptation of Jungle Book reimagined is kindly supported by Les Théâtres de la Ville de Luxembourg.
- With the support of Garfield Weston Foundation, Genesis Foundation and Angela Bernstein CBE
- Supported by Arts Council England
- Ambra Vernuccio (images 1 and 3), Camila Greenwell (image 2)