We’re calling on book enthusiasts aged 10 – 12 and putting them in charge of their very own event at this year’s Writers Week.
Curated by Kids
We’re looking for ten book enthusiasts aged 10 – 12 to put in charge of their own event at Writers Week. These ten curators will create a program of literary sessions featuring their favourite authors and illustrators at the dedicated Curated by Kids stage on Writers Week Family Day.
In 2018 our Kid Curators interviewed authors like Maggie Beer, Sofie Laguna, Josie Boyle and Gabrielle Wang! Author Davina Bell said ‘I thought the Curated By Kids program was one of the best sessions I’ve ever been involved with’ and Maggie Beer’s agent said ‘The session … was fantastic! Maggie loved it.’
When: Sun 24 Feb
Where: Writers Week Hub
Curated by Kids is an opportunity to work with local, national and international authors and illustrators. Across two days of workshops, curators will learn all the skills they need to design and present sessions at Writers Week. They will be in charge of the whole program, including designing the format for the sessions, deciding who will appear and developing questions to ask each guest. We will also look at microphone technique and research the biography of each guest to develop interesting introductions. Each session will last for 30 minutes and include a question and answer session with the audience.
Who are we looking for?
Young people aged 10 – 12 with a keen interest in books. You also have to be prepared to talk on stage in front of an audience. You’ll need an inquisitive mind and assured stage presence.
You also need to:
- be 10 – 12 years of age
- live in Western Australia (if you live regionally, you must be able to be able to travel to Perth)
- be available on the dates below
- commit to reading up to 12 books provided by the Festival
- have a completed permission form that is signed by your parent/guardian (more information is available on this below)
Benefits for participants
As well as the opportunity to be a part of this amazing program, there are lots of other perks to being a Kid Curator. You will receive:
- Backstage pass to the Green Room for you and a guardian so you can mingle with authors!
- A pack of books for your own personal library
- Perth Festival tote bag (useful to carry all your books)
- Limited edition Perth Festival Curator T-shirt and lanyard
How do I apply?
- Send us a short video (maximum two minutes) answering the questions below. Please send videos as an email attachment (up to 6MB) or as a link to a storage space (e.g. Dropbox) – to email@example.com with the subject line ‘Curated by Kids’.
- Please complete and attached this permission form with your application. This must be signed by your parent/guardian and attached to your email as part of your application.
- What’s your name, age and what school do you go to?
- Who is your favourite author or illustrator and why?
- What is one question you would ask them?
- Why would you be a great curator for our Festival?
Applications due: Thu 8 Nov 2018
Applicants notified: Thu 22 Nov 2018
Curated by Kids meet and greet: Sat 1 Dec 2018 (TBC)
Writers Week Program Launch: Thu 10 Jan 2019
Workshop 1: Sat 9 Feb 2019
Workshop 2: Sun 10 Feb 2019
Writers Week Curated by Kids sessions: Sun 24 Feb 2019.