Hofesh in the Yard
‘It is shows like this that make you realise how unbearable life would be without art.’
A Perth Festival Commission
Presented in association with Hofesh Shechter Company
The State Theatre Centre of WA Courtyard is transformed into a spectacle of super charged high-octane dance with the global master of rock ‘n’ roll performance.
Recognised as one of the most exciting artists working in contemporary dance today, Hofesh Shechter is renowned for creating his own genre. Part dance, part gig, part theatre and wholly original, his work has its own unique and instantly identifiable voice. Spectacularly bold and ambitious, his creations are at once comic, bleak and beautiful, evoking a world at odds with itself, full of anarchic energy and violent comedy.
Join Perth’s own STRUT Dance for a Hofesh Schechter double bill to have you buzzing, performed outside and in the round by 12 independent artists from across the Asia-Pacific region. In the explosive mega hit Uprising, seven men emerge from the shadows to bombard the stage with furious energy, bonding and sparring, making up and falling out. tHE bAD is a volatile explosion of dubstep grooves that is joyous and trance-like.
Drink in hand, you can wander through the venue and take in the action from multiple viewing-points on ground level and galleries.
- Hofesh Shechter
- Music Uprising
- Hofesh Shechter/ Vex'd
- tHE bAD
- Hofesh Shechter & Various
- Lighting Design Uprising
- Lee Curran
- tHE bAD
- Hofesh Shechter & Lawrie McLennan
- Rehearsal Directors
- Sam Coren & Bruno Guillore
- Stage Director
- Bruno Guillore
- Costume Designer tHE bAD
- Amanda Barrow
- Executive Producer
- STRUT Dance
- Production Manager
- Production Manager
- Associate Producer & Stage Manager
- Lewis Major
- Costume Manager
- Nicole Marrington
- STRUT Dance / Alison Welburn (Limelight) / Perth Theatre Trust
- Commissioning Organisations
- STRUT Dance & Perth Festival
Choreographer Hofesh Shechter OBE is recognised as one of the most exciting artists making stage work today. Inspired by influences as diverse as Israeli folkdance, rock gigs, installation art and film, his immersive and high-energy dance work is performed to percussive, cinematic musical scores that he composes himself. Since 2008 his eponymous company has performed at leading festivals and on major stages from Rio to Sydney, Shanghai to New York, winning him a passionate worldwide following.
Following his choreographic debut, Fragments, in 2003, Hofesh was commissioned by The Place Prize in 2004 to create Cult, winning the Audience Choice Award. This was followed in 2006 by Uprising, a work for seven men that has since been staged on companies around the world.
Further repertoire for the company includes In your rooms (2007), The Art of Not Looking Back (2009), Political Mother (2010), Political Mother: The Choreographer’s Cut (2011), Sun (2013), barbarians (2015), Grand Finale (2017) and SHOW (2018) with his apprentice company, Shechter II.
STRUT Dance is the National Choreographic Centre based in Perth WA. An innovative arts model that provides internationally benchmarked development, collaboration and presentation opportunities for independent dance artists from across the Australia and Asia Pacific region. Some of the most visionary and pertinent artists operating on the contemporary global stage, usually quarantined to major dance organisations, are available to the independent sector exclusively through our programs. Ohad Naharin, William Forsythe, Crystal Pite, Punchdrunk's Maxine Doyle and Antony Hamilton – beacons of excellence and aspiration for artists and audiences alike. This is our unique selling point both locally and globally and accounts for our growing national and international brand, reputation, engagement and audience.
For the Perth Festival 2019 STRUT produced SUNSET - the inaugural activation of the Sunset Heritage Precinct with a large-scale immersive dance-theatre spectacle from Punchdrunk's Maxine Doyle.
|Time & Location||
Tue 18 Feb - Sun 1 Mar
Tue - Sat 9pm | Sun 8pm | No performance Sun 23 Feb
65mins including interval
Eligible for package discount
Contains smoke or haze effects
Pre Show Q&A
Fri 21 Feb
Come down early to hear from creators and artists in a Q&A session.
- Supported by WA Department of Local Government, Sports and Cultural Industries, The Australia Council for the Arts, City of Perth, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Minderoo Foundation, Ungar Family Foundation and STRUT Donor Circle.
- Original Commissioning Partners - Uprising: Made possible with support from the Robin Howard Foundation Commission 2006, Arts Council England and Jerwood Changing Stages Choreolab at DanceXchange. tHE bAD: Sadler’s Wells London, Les Théâtres de la Ville de Luxembourg, Théâtre de la Ville – Paris, Berliner Festspiele – Foreign Affairs, Maison de la Danse - Lyon, Festival d’Avignon, HOME Manchester, Festspielhaus, St Pölten (including a working residency) and Hessisches Staatsballett, Staatstheater Darmstadt / Wiesbaden (including a working residency).Uprising and tHE bAD are presented in association with Hofesh Shechter Company
- Gabriele Zucca, Ben Ruddick & Andrew Lang