We’re calling on book enthusiasts aged 10 – 12 and putting them in charge of their very own event at this year’s Perth Writers Festival.
Ten curators get to nominate the authors or illustrators from the Writers Week program they’d most like to interview and then get to have their say in how their event will run. Curated by Kids will have a stage where kids and adults can catch the action of these literary sessions.
When: Saturday 24 February 2018
Where: Writers Week Hub – The University Club of Western Australia
Curated by Kids is an opportunity to work with incredible local, national and international authors and illustrators. The ten successful curators will work closely with the Perth Writers Week team to design and present sessions with select authors and illustrators. These sessions could involve:
- An illustrator drawing live on stage
- An author reading from their latest work
- An on-stage interview (with you as the interviewer)
Each session will last for 30 minutes and include a question and answer session with the audience. Sessions will require a host and an interviewer. Let us know which role you’d like to play.
Host: Introduces the author/illustrator to the audience and manages audience questions. You’ll need to know your way around a microphone and the way to the audience’s heart.
Interviewer: Will ask the author/illustrator a series of questions on stage in front of an audience. You’ll need an inquisitive mind and some serious stage presence.
Participants will get:
- An amazing opportunity to choose what happens at the Writers Week Family stage
- A chance to sharpen your skills – from writing and researching to stage management and public speaking.
- To connect and collaborate with fellow book lovers
- A backstage pass to the Green Room for you and your guardian (you can mingle with all our attending authors!)
- A free pack of books for your own personal library
- A prize pack for your school library
Successful applicants will also be interviewed and their profile will be featured on our website.
- Send us a short video (2 minutes) answering the questions below. Please send videos – as an email attachment (up to 6MB) or as a link to a storage space (e.g. Dropbox) – to email@example.com with the subject line ‘Curated by Kids’.
- Please also complete this permission form. This must be signed by your parent/guardian and attached to your email as part of your application.
- What’s your name, age and what school do you go to?
- Who is your favourite author or illustrator and why?
- What is one question you would ask them?
- Why would you be a great curator for our Festival?
In order to apply, you must:
- be 10 – 12 years of age
- live in Western Australia (regional-based applicants must be able to travel to Perth)
- be available on the dates below
- commit to the workload and read the books provided by the Festival
- have a completed permission form that is signed by your parent/guardian
Friday 1 December 2017: Applications due
Wednesday 13 December 2017: Successful applicants notified
Saturday 16 December 2017, 10 – 11am: Meet your fellow curators, collect reading material and get started
Wednesday 18 January 2018, 6pm: Attend the 2018 Writers Week Program Launch
Saturday 10 February 2018, 10am – 12pm: Workshop 1
Saturday 17 February 2018, 10am – 12pm: Workshop 2
Saturday 24 February 2018: present your session