Curated by Kids
Young book lovers interview renowned authors and illustrators
A favourite with young book lovers, Curated by Kids is back for our Literature & Ideas Family Day. Ten young curators get to create a program of literary sessions featuring their favourite authors and illustrators.
About Curated by Kids
Curators work alongside mentor Libby Klysz to discover what goes into producing a successful writers festival event. Then put together the program – from deciding who will appear, researching questions and actually hosting the sessions. Previous kid curators have interview acclaimed authors including Maggie Beer, James Foley, Josie Boyle and Andrew Hansen.
Who You Are
To participate in Curated by Kids, you should:
- Be aged between 10 – 12 at the time of submitting your Expression of Interest
- Live in Western Australia
- Have a keen interest in books
- Be happy to talk on stage in front of an audience
- Have an inquisitive mind
- Commit to reading up to 12 books over summer, provided by the Festival
- Have a completed permission form that is signed by your Parent / Guardian (information can be found below)
Participation in Curated by Kids is free of charge for successful applicants, and Perth Festival will provide participants with the books that need to be read.
Curators will be supervised by Libby Klysz, the Curated by Kids Program Coordinator.
Workshops: Perth Festival Offices, Crawley
Event: University of Western Australia, Crawley
Friday 1 November 2019 Expressions of Interest open
Thursday 28 November 2019 Expressions of Interest close
Tuesday 3 December 2019 Applicants notified of EOI outcome
Saturday 14 December 2019 Curated by Kids Meet & Greet
Saturday 1 February 2020 Workshop 1 (half day)
Saturday 15 February 2020 Workshop 2 (half day)
Sunday 23 February 2020 Curated by Kids session at Perth Festival Literature & Ideas
Expressions of Interest
Expressions of Interest to participate in Curated by Kids will open on 1 November 2019.
To participate you need to:
- Complete an Expression of Interest form
- Upload a short video (2 minutes maximum) answering the application questions provided below
- Read, understand and accept the Terms & Conditions – Curated by Kids with your parent / guardian
- What your name, age and what school do you go to?
- Who is your favourite author or illustrator and why?
- What is one question you would like to ask them?
- Why would you be a great curator for Perth Festival?
Information for Parents & Guardians
Please note that applicants must ensure they have your permission before submitting an Expression of Interest. The Parents / Guardians of chosen participants will be required to sign a hard copy version of the Project Terms & Conditions that gives consent for the participant’s involvement in the program.
The Parent / Guardian nominated on the Expression of Interest will be the person who receives all communications regarding this project from Perth Festival.