About This Opportunity
Date and Time
Festival Lab is an intensive program of events, performances and meetings. Participants should expect to be attending events most days/nights from 3 February – 1 March 2020. There will also be a small number of compulsory events from early January, and wrap up events until 6 March.
The draft schedule will give you an indication of the time required, however please note that the schedule will grow as further opportunities are confirmed, including approximately 10 mandatory sessions with artists and festival staff.
Perth Festival will arrange free tickets for all compulsory events.
There may be instances for optional events where you will need to pay for your own ticket if you chose to attend. In these instances Perth Festival will endeavour, where possible, to arrange discount tickets.
Participants will be paid a stipend of $750 in acknowledgement of the time committed to participating the Festival Lab.
How to Apply
To apply, you need to:
- Complete the application form below
- Submit a video, no more than 4 minutes long that:
- Tells us about yourself, your current artistic practice and goals
- Outlines what you hope to achieve from participating the in Festival Lab
- Introduces the themes, events or artists from the 2020 Program you want to engage with and why.
- Accept the Festival Lab Terms and Conditions of participation.
Please get in touch with us if you require any assistance in preparing your application, including video response, or require Festival Lab information in a different format.
Applicants are encouraged to consider the selection criteria below in the preparation of your video and respond creatively. Please note that videos are not judged on aesthetic or production values, however any audio should be clear and copyright materials must be acknowledged appropriately.
Your video should be uploaded to a video hosting site for submission.
In choosing participants for the Festival Lab, we will consider your:
- Readiness to participate and timeliness in relation to you artistic practice / career
- Desire to rigorously explore artistic practice and ideas
- Interest in collaboration and critical enquiry
- Demonstrated interest in the 2020 Festival program
- Commitment to participation (availability to attend Festival Lab scheduled events)
Applications Open: Thursday 31 October 2019
Applications Close: Midnight, Sunday 1 December 2019
Outcome of Application Notification: Friday 13 December 2019
Festival Lab Activities: Early January – 6 March 2020
Regional/ remote assistance
Successful applicants based in regional or remote WA will be eligible to apply for the RAF Quick Response Grant (up to $2000) through Regional Arts WA. The grant is part of the Australian Government’s Regional Arts Fund initiative intended to assist artists and arts workers to take up extraordinary professional development opportunities such as the Festival Lab. Please contact Regional Arts WA for more information. For successful Quick Response Grant applicants, Perth Festival will contribute $1,500 (includes a $750 stipend offered to all Lab participants), making the total assistance for a regional applicant $3500.
Mandurah residents please note Regional Arts WA’s conditions.